Saturday, November 02, 2019

Thankful Tree

Happy November
November, when fall turns crisper, winter creeps in, and hearts are filled with gratitude. One way we celebrate gratitude in our family is a thankful tree; a tradition we started  six years ago. What's a thankful tree? Basically, it's a way to share something we are thankful for each day. Every night at dinner, each person says something they are thankful for - no repeats allowed - and then we write it on a leaf and glue them on or thankful tree. 

Each year I sketch a tree on a big sheet of paper from a craft roll (you can find it at hobby lobby, michaels, or on amazon, or from Melissa and Doug) My tree is usually about 4 feet tall.
 I start sketching branches, from the top, keeping in mind that trees are naturally perfectly imperfect, so your tree should be too, don't get hung up on perfection.  Just like real life  - it isn't perfect, but there is still so much to be grateful for. Focusing on the million little good things makes your tree so much more perfect! I just use the Crayola Super Tips
Once I get the branches drawn, I start adding lines to look like bark. If you check out my highlights on Instagram I talk about the process, which took about 30 minutes from cutting the paper to hanging it up.
One of my traditions is to add a heart knot with our name and year.  
If you aren't a DIY fan, but like the idea of a Thankful tree, I've seen several options this year - there are several printables on Etsy, and a few premade options as well, Target is even carrying one this year. Another option is a thankful pumpkin. One of my friends gets a craft pumpkin and they write what they are thankful for on the pumpkin each night.
For the past 4 or 5 years I've bought this leaf garland, and cut it apart, but this year I discovered these cute place cards, so we'll be using both this year. 
Last year I saved a lot of our leaves. As you can see, anything goes as far as what we are thankful for! Cookies, technology, friends and family, earth, puppies, nature, electricity, and quiet all made the list last year. 
I love the opportunity to talk with the littles about all the things we have to be grateful for. Hearing what everyone comes up with each day is so fun, and very often funny - today we started with gravity, school, my clean room, treats, and books. 
I hope your November is filled with good food, fun, family, friends, and gratitude. 

This post contains affiliated links.

No comments: