Saturday, December 11, 2010

The McRib: a $3.00 Trip Down Memory Lane

If you haven't heard, the McRib is back.
Now, as I'm sure you know by now, I am not a fast food type of girl & I haven't eaten at McDonalds in years. But, when I heard they were bringing the McRib back, my interest was peaked.  I have fond memories of the McRib as a kid, even though I'm sure that I only had a McRib once or twice in my life.


So after a long day of work, followed by a long night running errands I decided it was time to take a trip down memory lane.  I called Husband & told him my plan, the conversation went something like this:
Me: I'm going to stop & McDonalds to get a McRib do you want anything?
Husband: Really? You're going to McDonalds?
Me: Yes, I'm sure I'll eat like 3 bites & throw it away, but I've got to see if it's as good as I remember.
Husband: Hmmm this is a bad idea
Me: I know, but I just have to try it.
Husband: laughing, ok. 


So I pulled into the McDonalds' drive through & ordered a McRib, then was confused by the whole 2 window set up (yup it's been so long that I didn't even know how to go through a drive through!)  The 12 year old behind the window looked at me like I was retarded & explained the process. It was pretty embarrassing.


Anyway, at the second window I was handed a paper bag that contained the oh so anticipated McRib.  I must say it smelled fantastic, so much so that the 15 minute drive home was a bit torturous & I'm pretty sure I was salivating for the last 5 minutes.  Ridiculous I know.
This is what was waiting for me after the long drive home.
Yup, that's pressed reconstituted mystery meat, BBQ sauce, pickles & onions on a bun, or as Tim McGraw would say "Another supper from a sack, a 99 cent heart attack"
The First Bite was ok, the edge was a bit firmer & immediate flavor wasn't too bad.  But bites 2 & 3 were like eating already been chewed meat stuffs & the nasty aftertaste already crept in, plus raw onions are on my no-no list.  3 bites & to the trash it went, just as expected.


The best part was that no one believed me when I told them I tried the McRib!  No offense to Micky-Ds but I plan on going another 5 years or so before trying their delectable cuisine again.  The trip down memory lane was worth the $3.00, but the tummy ache that came with was not worth it.  


This is what I made after having my Third & Final Bite in an attempt to make peace with my tummy:
Grilled Asparagus & Mushrooms, yummy!


Next time the McRib comes around, I'll have documentation & an adult memory to keep me away.  But hey, that just means more McRib for all you fanatics out there! Enjoy your ABC Pressed mystery meat sandwich. 

No comments: