Tuesday, September 08, 2020

Pumpkin Streusel Bread

Happy Fall! 
Yes, I know it isn't technically fall yet, but the as soon as Labor Day is over it's fall in my mind.  Fall means changing leaves, crisper weather, and the need for all the cozy comfort food and treats. One of my favorite fall treats is pumpkin bread. I've been making this version since 2014, when a friend gave me a loaf of apple bread with streusel, and I thought it would be perfect on my pumpkin bread. Spoiler alert, it is amazing.

Pumpkin Bread Batter
1 can pumpkin puree (not pie, the regular 15 oz size pumpkin puree)
3 eggs
1/2 cup butter
1 tsp vanilla extract (I use the vanilla bean paste)
1 cup sugar
1 3/4 flour (I do 1 1/4 reg & 1/2 whole wheat)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/3 cup milk
optional chocolate chips - I usually do 1/2 plain & 1 cup of chocolate chips in the remaining batter.
Mix the pumpkin, eggs, butter, vanilla & sugar until smooth. Then add the rest of the ingredients and mix until smooth. Preheat oven to 350.
 
Once smooth pour into pans - makes 1 2lb loaf & 1 mini loaf, 2 1lb loaves, or 4 mini loaves. 
Once you've poured into the desired pans, make your streusel topping.
Streusel Topping
6 TBS butter
2/3 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup flour (I use whole wheat)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Hand cut together to make a crumble, or toss it in your mixer or food processor -it's such a small amount I hand cut/mixed it. 
Press the streusel onto your bread batter. I really pat it on so less will fall off as it rises in the oven. 
Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes for full loaves, 30 minutes for mini loaves or 20 minutes for muffins. Since all ovens cook differently I would check at 35 and 20 minutes on loaves. Once your tooth pick pulls clean you're ready to pull. Let cool about 20 minutes before popping from the pan.

Enjoy!

Quick Baking Time Guide - 350 degrees
for full loaf cook for 45 minutes
for mini loaves cook for 30 minutes
for muffins cook for 20 minutes

No comments: