Sunday, September 18, 2011

Bacon & Mushroom Barley

It's time for a little super grain! Are you ready for some Barley? When I was a kid my mom used to make a barley casserole - I remember it being good, but after getting the recipe (which included can of mushroom soup) I decided to try my own version.  Today I present my first attempt - Mushroom & Bacon Barley. 
The Deets
1 Cup Barley
2 1/2 Cups Vegetable Broth
7 Mushrooms finely chopped (your choice - I used baby portabellas)
1/2 Shallot
2 Strips of Bacon
The How To
Bring Vegetable Broth to Boil
Add Barley and reduce to a Simmer
Cook for 40 - 45 minutes or until chewy
In a pan cook Bacon (slightly undercooked)
Remove Bacon and let cool
Add Shallots and Mushrooms to the pan and cook until caramelized
Remove fat from Bacon and roughly chop and return to pan with Mushrooms and Shallots
Once Barley is cooked add to Pan and Mix Well
I served it as a side with Grilled Halibut and a salad
Plate, Pray & Enjoy!

No comments: